Tom Kirkup joined N.B. in 1929 to develop the NB-8G, a folding wing parasol with an 80 H.P. Armstrong Siddeley "Genet" engine. The NB-8G could reach 116 m.p.h. with the "Genet" turning @2,300 r.p.m. Ailerons on early models had Flettner-type balance tabs; later models used the Friese-type offset aileron hinge. The NB-8G could take off with no hands on the controls, attain level flight with turns initiated by rudder alone, and could be landed hands off. Longitudinal trim could be changed in flight by leaning forward or backward, and reducing or adding power. It was available with a glass cockpit enclosure for winter flying. Fifty-seven NB-8s were produced from 1931 to 1932, and the fifty-eighth was assembled from spare parts in 1935. On May 2, 1938 the Nicholas Beazley Company was sold to Air Associates Inc.
Further Information on N576Y. Reprinted from the Texas AAA News, August 1982 with permission.written by Joe Haynes
"The second NB-8 to be restored was N576Y, K-18, by Harry Wilkins and his son Jack at Elmira, NY. They acquired the basket-case NB-8 in late 1958 where it had been in storage for almost 20 years, suffering from a forced landing accident. Harry's "antique hospital" proceeded to start a ground-up restoration. National AAA Hq. and Maurice Haden helped with what technical data and photos they had and various parts were found from true antiquers who were not hoarding parts to make a financial killing. The restoration required four years of weekend and holiday work to bring the project up to flight status. All wing gussets, 760 in number, were replaced, and a new plywood "D" spar was formed. The Genet engine fired on the third pull-through and ran smooth not withstanding the fact it had been idle for 22 years. The NB-8 was finished off in white and Aeronca green trim. First flight was made from Harris Hill Glider port by Bill Frutchy who won the straw ballot among the potential test pilots. The flight was anti-climatic and confirmed the pleasant flying characteristics of the 80 H.P. NB-G8. There is an excellent article covering N576Y in the March 1964 issue of the AAA News. The NB-8G was in attendance at the National AAA Fly-In at Ottumwa in 1967 and eventually was donated to the E.A.A. museum. During this year's (1982) convention it was auctioned at Oshkosh and Palen of Old Rhinebeck, NY now owns N576Y."